Friday, November 13, 2009

Ignorance Is Bliss

One thousandth reason I really feel out of place in Florida. Country Music. I don't know what it is about people down here. I just don't belong and I don't fit in. I'm not racist but I honestly stereotype. Everyone does. Just the like same people who sit at my desk and say, "Wow, you don't even have an accent!", WTF?! The people here are really....let's find some stereotypical terms...rednecky. Doesn't even matter if you have money. I listen to their stories and hobbies and weekend excursions. And I'm not saying its just one race, it's all skin colors!!!! I'm stunned.

Even when I'm rarely invited out, usually because these people associate with my BF so I have to go. I feel like the token asian. I can take jokes and abuse. The name calling I get is hysterical. Hey, gotta be able to take a joke. But seriously, people forget how truly and unbelievably rude and ignorant they are before they ask or make a statement.

OMG I speak perfect english and I cook a Thanksgiving dinner like Martha Stewart, my meatloaf kicks ass, I so totally suck in math and still use my fingers to count, I order chinese food in english, I grew up in the 80's in Brooklyn. No my exes were not all asian and my mother doesn't give a shit. My mom wears the pants in the family and they have a regular house with all the furnishings everyone else has including a flat screen TV and a microfiber couch! My parents favorite car was a caddy not a honda and they don't bow when you meet them.

It's ridiculous. I usually have to hold in my sarcastic shit because these are my customers. Inside, I'm screaming, "You dumb bitch! WTF? Do I ask if you grew up in a damn trailer and if you eat everything with ketchup? Do you only have a pick up and is beer your favorite beverage of choice?! Do you all walk barefoot and have BBQ for every possible occasion?!"

Makes me miss the city. NYC, I miss you.

1 comment: