Thursday, January 21, 2010

Deployment

Well…what can I say? Cant say I didn't expect it to happen. Just didn't expect it to happen.

Haiti gets hit with the worst earthquake ever and pretty much destroys Port-Au-Prince. People from many countries, races, color, age are scrambling to help. This country, which has already suffered bloodshed and poverty on a daily basis, now faces this horrific disaster Mother Nature has inflicted within seconds. Haitian death tolls are estimated in the 200 thousands, with the lack of medicines and collapsed hospitals, they are facing infections and diseases.

I am so proud that Justin has been called out by the U.S. Coast Guard to help these people. I just didn't realize it would hurt that much to say goodbye. He’s going to a country that isn't bullet & bomb riddled like Iraq, Afghanistan, or Kuwait. Still I worry and I pray. Even now, as I write this blog, I hold back tears.

As I helped him get his gear ready and pack up the truck, it still seemed surreal. Then the goodbye hug came along with the kisses and I lost control. There are days when I honestly loathe him. Especially when he got a unsuspecting text message as we had our breakfast at Starbucks.  I cried and held back anger at the same time, my emotions were overwhelming. I watched him & his buddy drive off and I sat in my car. I broke down in uncontrollable tears.

Off to work I go with swollen, red eyes and a leaky nose. I sat silently. And replayed the morning over in my head. When the kids knocked on the door to say goodbye before they ran off for the bus. Even the dog knew. At the end of the work day, like usual, I cant wait to get the hell outta there. Then it dawned on me. He wont be coming home. I parked the car in the driveway. Ate dinner with the kids. I entered my room and I can still smell him. I look at the unmade bed when we ran out the h0use. I miss him already and it hasn't been even a day yet. How am I going to survive 6 months? How the hell do these military wives do it?!

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry that he will be away so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cookie, Chin up! I can't imagine the pain of parting ways so soon and for so long, but knowing and trusting that God will send him home will have be some comfort for now. Take pride that your family hero is off to contribute to the many hands that are so needed by the Haitian people. Be moved not by separation but by the small world that we live in, today we are connected by Webcams, text messages and the trusty cellphone. Far from site but never far from your heart, your hero is sure to return, and soon. As things improve maybe you'll even escape from your corner in the world long enough to make a short trip to visit. Wives have arrived to farther destinations to the waiting arms of their husbands. Your love sounds limitless, sink no further for your hero is sharing his gift with the world, little conciliation I know. He is added to my prayers as are you. Be proud of him, and when asked how he's doing answer "he's off saving the world" because he is. Keep the home fires burning. Thatblackgurl.

    ReplyDelete